The good health and well-being of you and your family depends on the quality of environment in which you spend the maximum time. This is why it is extremely important to maintain the good air quality right humidity levels in your house. Too much humidity can make your house smell bad and you may face serious construction problems along with critical physical conditions such as excess sweating. On the other hand, low levels of moisture can cause various health issues as well including dry skin, cracks on skin, and dry eyes. Both the situations can lead you towards serious health problems. To maintain the right levels of air moisture in your home, you can use a dehumidifier.
What is a Dehumidifier?
It is an appliance designed specifically to balance the air humidity levels in the house. The machine removes the excess moisture from the air and releases a better quality air in your space. There are two types of dehumidifiers in the market that you can buy to improve the humidity level of your house. The types of this appliance are explained below.
- Portable: It is the best pick for the spaces where ventilation is a major problem. This type of dehumidifiers can be fitted easily in the confined spaces. The portable design of these dehumidifiers makes them easy to use and maintain. Another benefit of this design is the portability which allows you to use it in anywhere you want.
- Whole-house: If your space requires more than one portable dehumidifier, it is best to choose the whole-house dehumidifiers. These dehumidifiers come in various sizes depending on the size of the house. One can easily determine his/her requirement by comparing the area of their house with the size of the dehumidifier. These are the right picks for the huge spaces where moisture level is not balanced.
However, the final selection of the appliance completely depends on your personal choice or requirements. However, you are buying a basement dehumidifier, it is important to read all the basement dehumidifier reviews to understand the product well.
Air Dehumidifiers – Functionality and Essential Features:
Be it the best dehumidifier with pump or a simple one, the basic working principle is standard in every dehumidifier. The machine absorbs the excess moisture from the air, separates it and releases a relatively less moisturized air.
If you also want to buy a dehumidifier for your house, below are the must-have features that you should consider while buying.
- Pint Capacity: This refers to the count of moisture pints that can be removed by the dehumidifier from the air in the span of 24 hours. The performance of a dehumidifier can vary as per the size of a room/house and the ratio of moisture in the air. You have to be aware of the right climate conditions in your region such as air moisture both in the day and night while buying a dehumidifier. This is because its performance is proportional to the size of the space and the amount of moisture in the air.
- Container: A water container is a crucial feature of a dehumidifier. Some dehumidifiers come with a detachable container that you can take out and dispose off the water while some models come with a fixed container. A few high-end models also come with a small water pump that can dispose off the water directly to a drain. You just have to attach a water pie having a right sized nozzle to it and it’s done. Do not use that extracted water as drinking water for animals or to hydrate the plants as it may negatively affect their health.
- Humidistat: It is a necessary feature to measure the right humidity level in the space. This must-have feature provides all the essential details to the user so that you can set the right humidity level required. Always buy the device that has a quality in-built humidistat for improved performance.
- Low Temperature Operation and Auto-Defrost: If you want a dehumidifier for a low-temperature area, it is important to have an auto-defrost option in it. Dehumidifiers designed for the normal temperature areas would be unable to handle the 30°F or colder air. Therefore, it is essential to choose a machine with the anti-frost sensor that melts down the frozen water in the condensing chamber.
- Auto-Restart: If power cut is an issue in your area, then choose a machine with the auto-restart feature. This feature will allow your machine to start automatically even after several power interruptions. In such a way, your machine will be able to maintain its earlier settings without any effort.
- Air Filter: To get the better quality of air in the house, always purchase a machine that has an air filter. The higher air quality is, the healthier you and your loved ones will be. Such dehumidifiers are a wise investment for well-being of your loved ones. However, these are slightly costlier than the basic models. In addition, choose the washable and reusable filters to improve the air quality significantly.
Health Benefits of Installing a Dehumidifier:
- Get Rid of Excess Moisture: This is the first reason for buying a high-quality dehumidifier. When you feel the wetness and find molds on the walls, it is a wakeup call for you. These issues can cause you and your house serious damage if not handled promptly. Therefore, install a dehumidifier to eliminate the excess moisture.
- Reduces the Chances of Allergens: Nothing is more important than you and your loved ones’ health. High moisture levels are ideal for bacterial growth and this can significantly increase the chances of various allergies as well as asthma. You can control such severe conditions with a dehumidifier. You can also use the best air purifier for allergies.
More Comfort: When humidity is not balanced, it makes hard to breathe properly. However, with the use of a good quality dehumidifier, you can easily reclaim the pleasure and comfort of your beautiful house.