Table of Contents
- At a Glance
- Best Dehumidifier for Basement Reviews
- 1. Overall Best Pick: Vremi 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 2. Best Runner Up: Waykar 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 3. Aprilaire 1830 Pro 3,800 Sq. Ft.
- 4. AlorAir 1,300 Sq. Ft.
- 5. MIDEA MAD20C1ZWS 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 6. Ivation IVALDH70PB 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 7. HONEYWELL TP70WKN 4,000 Sq. Ft.
- 8. Ivation IVADH70PW 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 9. BaseAire AirWerx55 1,300 Sq. Ft.
- 10. Keystone KSTAD50B 3,000 Sq. Ft.
- 11. Inofia 30 Pint 1,056 Sq. Ft.
- 12. Yaufey 163A 1,500 Sq. Ft.
- 13. Vacplus 1,500 Sq. Ft.
- Basement Dehumidifier Buyer’s Guide
- Wrapping It Up
This post was last updated on: Friday, August 1, 2022
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Your basement enhances the value and functionality of your home significantly—it doubles your square footage. You can use that space for storage, an extra bedroom, or a home office. No matter how you use it, you’ve likely discovered excess moisture can be an issue. Today, we’ll look at the top dehumidifiers to discover the best dehumidifier for basement.
At a Glance
Best Dehumidifier for Basement Reviews
1. Overall Best Pick: Vremi 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- Our Vremi dehumidifier is rated to remove 50 pints (70 Pint 2012 DOE Rating Standard) of moisture per day, and is ideal for medium to large spaces from 3,000 square feet up to 4,500 square feet
- We designed our dehumidifier with convenience and style in mind. This dehumidifier sports a sleek, clean look with convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a quiet fan that does its job without too...
- It's a dehumidifier, not a rocket ship, and our user-friendly features reflect this. Simply adjust the appliance to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank...
This compressor-type dehumidifier from Vremi is our top pick. Vremi is a relatively new but reputable name in the home appliances industry.
The first thing to consider about this model is its capacity. According to the manufacturer, the Moisture Maniac can remove 50 pints of moisture per day, and it can dehumidify rooms with floor sizes of up to 4,500 square feet. For areas with humidity levels between 50 and 65 percent, this model’s capacity is ideal.
The Moisture Maniac offers a wide range of high-end features to make your life as a homeowner easier. The most prominent feature this portable dehumidifier offers is its continuous mode.
In this mode, the unit synchronizes operation with external drainage so that it can run continuously without having to switch off.
When you switch your unit on for the first time, the continuous mode will be on by default, and you won’t be able to adjust the humidity manually. To do so, you first have to switch continuous mode off.
The Moisture Maniac also features a turbo mode that increases the fan speed and moisture removal. If you recently had a water heater burst or flood in your basement, this feature is ideal for getting rid of excess moisture in the air quickly. This unit is relatively loud on turbo mode, however, and is not suitable as a set-and-forget option.
Because the Moisture Maniac is a compressor dehumidifier, it is susceptible to frost accumulation. Fortunately, the unit features an automatic defrost mode that switches off the compressor while keeping the fan running to melt the ice.
According to the product specifications, the Moisture Maniac has a water tank with a capacity of about 14.8 pints. At maximum capacity, you have to empty the collection tank three or four times per day. You can also connect a garden hose with a length of at least three feet to the unit for continuous gravity drainage—that way, you don’t have to watch the water levels.
- Certification from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Wheels and handle for easy portability
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty from Vremi
- Gravity drainage eliminates the need to check water levels
- Capacity to dehumidify most residential basements
- Defrost mode to increase the operating temperature range
- Reasonable price
- A relatively loud noise level
- Requires regular cleaning
2. Best Runner Up: Waykar 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- DEHUMIDIFIER FOR SPACES UP TO 4500 SQ FT- Our dehumidifier are able to remove up to 70 pints (under 95°F,85%RH condition) of moisture per day. (Please note: under 95°F,85%RH condition, the max...
- UNIQUE DESIGN FOR MODERN HOMES - The Waykar dehumidifier is designed with a sleek and modern look. With castors and an ergonomic recessed handle, you can move around this portable dehumidifier easily....
- INTELLIGENT TOUCH CONTROL- There is an intelligent screen touch control panel display on the dehumidifier, you can operate it easily. Humidity Auto Control: Simply adjust to your ideal moisture...
Our runner up in this review guide is the 70-pint dehumidifier from Waykar. This high-performing unit can handle basements with a floor area of up to 4,500 sq. ft. and is suitable for high humidity levels of up to 85 percent. If you have severe moisture issues in a large basement, this unit is one of your most viable options.
It also offers several features to ensure the best possible performance, functionality, and user convenience.
One of the handiest features is automatic humidity control. All you have to do is select a comfortable humidity level using the intelligent touch screen panel. The unit will automatically monitor humidity levels in the room and adjust its performance accordingly to maintain the level you selected.
To protect the compressor against frost build-up, it features an auto-frost censoring feature that kicks in and shuts down the machine.
When the water container is full, the unit will also automatically shut down, and the alert indicator will light up. You can, however, prevent unnecessary downtime by connecting the 6.56-foot drain hose for continuous draining. The gravity draining feature also eliminates the need to check the water level regularly.
We saved the best feature for last. In addition to extracting excess moisture from the air, this model also purifies the air. The purification system removes airborne pollutants such as dust particles, pollen, and unpleasant odors to enhance optimal comfort levels and a healthy environment.
- High dehumidification capacity
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty, two-year extended warranty
- Child lock and safety standby mode to prevent overheating
- Auto shut-off when the water bucket is full
- Automatic humidity control for added convenience
- Air purification feature to remove unwanted airborne pollutants
- Not compatible with standard garden hose sizes
- The included hose may be too short
- Relatively high price tag compared to others with this capacity
3. Aprilaire 1830 Pro 3,800 Sq. Ft.
- BUILT TO LAST with corrosion-resistant aluminum coils, Aprilaire Dehumidifiers are designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. by Aprilaire, the leader in indoor air quality solutions
- MINIMIZE AIRBORNE VIRUS SURVIVAL rates by keeping relative humidity below 60% with a dehumidifier
- REDUCES & CONTROLS BASEMENT & WHOLE HOME HUMIDITY to help prevent damp carpeting and furnishings, mold, mildew, and odors, and mold, termites, structural wood rot, and odors in a sealed crawl space
The 1830 Pro is a top-selling dehumidifier from Aprilaire that is relatively basic in terms of functionality. However, despite its simplicity, it has a high dehumidification capacity of 70 pints of moisture per day, and it can cover up to 3,800 sq. ft. So, if you have a 60 x 60-foot basement with a humidity level of, say, 70 percent, this unit will be sufficient.
This compressor dehumidifier has high-quality construction to ensure the best durability and a long lifespan. The aluminum coils are corrosion-resistant, and the unit has a relatively low maintenance requirement. You only have to check the filter once per year, and the cleaning process is quick and easy.
A unique aspect of the 70-pint 1830 Pro is that it doesn’t have a water collection tank. You have to connect a hose or place the unit over a floor drain for continuous gravity drainage.
Because there is no container, the unit is relatively compact, and provides you with ample installation flexibility, especially in restricted crawl spaces. You also don’t have to check the water levels, and there are no unnecessary downtimes as the result of a full collection tank.
Adding to the unit’s flexibility and easy access is the ability to mount the control panel in more than one way—on the side or top. The interactive display is also highly intuitive to allow for easy setup and use.
- Energy Star certification from the EPA
- Five-year manufacturer’s warranty and low price
- High dehumidification 70-pint capacity
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum coils
- Compact and easy to install, access, and use
- Hose connection for continuous gravity drainage
- A relatively high price tag
- Some users may prefer a water collection tank
4. AlorAir 1,300 Sq. Ft.
If you need a high-capacity dehumidifier that can fit into a restricted space, consider the Sentinel HD55 from AlorAir. This unit can remove up to 55 pints of water per day from a basement or crawl space with a floor area of up to 1,300 square feet.
For a unit with this high capacity, it is incredibly compact. This dehumidifier’s dimensions are 12.2 x 19.2 x 13.1 inches, so it doesn’t occupy valuable space, and it is easy to install.
The unit is easy to use, as well. You just select the moisture level setting you prefer and let it run on a continuous 24-hour cycle. There is no water tank, and you can let the water drain through the hose – no container emptying or water level checks needed.
There are several protective features to prolong the lifespan of this dehumidifier and ensure the best possible operation. The Sentinel HD55 is a compressor type and susceptible to frost build-up. To prevent ice from accumulating in the unit, it has a hot gas valve for defrosting that makes operation possible during the defrosting process.
This unit also comes with internal corrosion protection that prevents not only the formation of rust, but also freon leakage. The coil also has an epoxy coating for added protection and to maintain its heat, which increases the efficiency of the dehumidifier.
- Compact unit for easy installation in restricted areas
- High water extraction capacity
- Five-year product warranty
- HGV hot gas valve defrosting system for low temperatures
- G3 filter traps moisture as well as unpleasant odors
- Features a remote-control system that is easy to use
- Expensive for this category
- Heavy weight affects portability
5. MIDEA MAD20C1ZWS 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- 4,500 SQ. FT. DEHUMIDIFIER – This Midea dehumidifier is able to remove 50 pints (70 pint 2012 DOE standard) of moisture a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%. Perfect for use in basement,...
- QUIET & ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED – With a low dBA output, this dehumidifier is quieter than a household refrigerator. Meanwhile, with Energy Star certification, the unit features a continuous...
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES & WARRANTY - Features include auto restart function limiting disruption due to power outages, "Turbo" mode to increase the fan speed for maximum moisture removal, auto defrost...
The MAD20C1ZWS from MIDEA is a high-quality dehumidifier that can remove up to 30 pints of moisture per 1,500 sq. ft. for 24 hours. This capacity is ideal for average-sized areas with levels of moisture that range from 55 to 65 percent. If you have a smaller room, such as a crawl space or bathroom, the unit will be able to handle a higher moisture level.
The features of the MAD20C1ZWS are fairly standard— you will be able to find them on most other models as well. However, while this model may not have any stand-out functions, it has a low price tag and is a viable option for anyone who wants the best value for their money.
This unit includes a control panel with a humidity display. You can adjust the humidity level you prefer between 35 to 85 percent, and the dehumidifier will continuously monitor the level in the room and adjust its operation accordingly. This function includes and auto-comfort feature that you can activate by pressing the comfort button.
Because the MAD20C1ZWS is a compressor model, it features an auto-defrost function that turns the system off to melt the ice on the evaporator coils. You also get a turbo function with this model that you can activate for short periods to extract high levels of moisture in the air. This function is particularly handy after a flood or leak.
You have a choice of two drainage methods to get rid of the water that the unit traps. The first way is to collect the water in the 6.4-pint tank. If the dehumidifier runs at full capacity, you will have to empty the collection tank three to five times over 24 hours.
The second method is to connect a standard garden hose to the drainage connector and route the water to a nearby floor drain. This method relies on gravity, so the floor drain has to be nearby or below the container.
Other features you get with this model include a reminder when you have to clean the filter, continuous mode, and four wheels for better portability.
- Worldwide one-year parts and labor warranty
- Affordable price tag
- Wide moisture level setting range
- Gravity drainage option
- Defrost mode to increase its temperature range
- High-quality construction
- Overall energy efficiency can be improved
- The casing is somewhat flimsy
6. Ivation IVALDH70PB 4,500 Sq. Ft.
- This Compressor Dehumidifier Keeps Spaces Up to 4500 Sq. Ft. Cool & Comfortable by Removing 50 Pints of Moisture/Day (70 Pint according to the old DOE [Department of Energy] standards, in 2019 this...
- Built-In Humidity Sensor - The LCD accurately displays the current humidity level in the room, enabling you to set your ideal levels for automatic moisture control
- Low Maintenance & Easy Operation; Simply Plug-In, Select Settings & Empty 1.3 Gallon Reservoir
This Energy Star Dehumidifier from Ivation is a compact unit that only weighs 31 pounds but has a relatively high dehumidification capacity of 50 PPD for basements up to 3,000 square feet. However, the best thing about this unit is its installation flexibility with casters, a long 6-foot power cord, and an easily accessible display.
With the built-in RHT meter, you can view the current humidity level in your basement and select the ideal humidity level, preferably between 35 and 50 percent. The unit will then adjust its fan speed according to your needs and bring the humidity level down. If you are dealing with a moisture level higher than 65 percent, you can initiate turbo mode, which increases the fan speed to bring high moisture levels down quickly.
This unit comes with a 1.3-gallon water tank as one of its drainage features. Provided that the dehumidifier operates at full capacity, you will have to empty the tank three to five times per day. When the tank is full, it will trigger the auto shut-off.
If you don’t want to monitor water levels, you can connect a hose for continuous gravity draining and divert the water to a nearby drain. The floor drain has to be below the dehumidifier to ensure constant flow.
Other features this compressor unit has to offer include an auto-defrost function to protect its evaporator coils and a 24-hour timer. This model also has Energy Star certification, so you know that you are getting the best in terms of efficiency.
- Compact unit with ample installation flexibility
- High-quality and durable construction
- Intuitive display with built-in RHT meter
- Turbo mode for high-speed moisture extraction
- Gravity drainage option available
- Energy efficient
- Low water reservoir capacity
- Relatively difficult setup
- Price may be too high
7. HONEYWELL TP70WKN 4,000 Sq. Ft.
- POWERFUL DEHUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE ROOMS: Ideal for larger basements, living rooms, cellars & storage rooms, Energy Star qualified means this compact, but powerful unit removes moisture with less energy...
- PEACE OF MIND WITH A BRAND YOU TRUST: Honeywell Dehumidifiers are top rated by an independent, U. S. - based product safety-testing agency since 2016 and all Honeywell Dehumidifiers are backed by a...
- EASY TO USE, EASY TO MAINTAIN: The durable air filter helps reduce dust & easily washes clean under a faucet – No filter replacements necessary. A Filter Clean Alert helps you maintain filter for...
If you have a large basement with extensive moisture issues, this unit from Honeywell may be a viable option for you. It can remove up to 70 pints of water per day and cover a floor area of up to 4,000 sq. ft. Because of this high moisture removal capacity, it is suitable for moisture levels of 80 percent or higher.
What this unit has to offer is pretty standard, but it provides complete functionality and convenience. These features include smart humidistat control that provides for a 24-hour energy-saving timer, sleep mode, auto-defrost, and a clean filter alert. You can select the ideal moisture level for your basement, and the unit will continuously monitor its surroundings and adjust its fan speeds.
The detachable water reservoir has a capacity of 7 pints. If the dehumidifier is operating at full capacity, you will have to empty the tank ten times over 24 hours. You can also attach the included drain tube for continuous gravity drainage, which eliminates the need for regular checks.
You get a wide range of mobility features with the TP70WKN, including a handle that carries loads of up to 150 pounds, smooth gliding wheels, and a cord winder.
This high-performing 70-pint dehumidifier is sophisticated in its simplicity and the ideal choice if you are continually struggling with moisture that seeps through your basement walls or floor.
- Relatively high 70-pint moisture extraction capability
- Standard features for convenient use
- Five-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Mobility features to quickly move the unit around
- Energy Star certification
- Affordable price
- Small water reservoir for the capacity
- Confusing instruction manual
- Quality of plastic components could be improved
8. Ivation IVADH70PW 4,500 Sq. Ft.
The Ivation 70-pint Energy Star Dehumidifier is another worthy consideration for homeowners with large basements and high moisture levels that exceed 75 percent. This model can remove up to 70 pints of water from the air per day, and it can cover an indoor area of 4,500 square feet. Because of this high moisture extraction capacity, this unit is suitable for industrial applications as well.
Despite this model’s high performance, it is incredibly compact and weighs only 45 pounds. You can also quickly and easily wheel the unit into the desired position on its smooth-rolling caster wheels. The power cord is six feet long, offering some flexibility in terms of the unit’s positioning in your basement.
With the Ivation 70-pint dehumidifier, you get two fan speeds—turbo and regular. The latter is suitable for routine moisture level maintenance in your basement. However, if you recently had a flood or burst water heater, and there is water all over your basement floor, the turbofan speed is your best option to get rid of excessive water vapor in the air.
Other features that this model has to offer include automatic moisture control, a washable air filter, frost control, and auto restart after a power outage. The water tank has a relatively large capacity of 2.25 gallons, but you can also connect a hose for continuous draining.
- Energy efficient
- High 70-pint water removal capacity
- Large water tank
- Wide operating temperature range
- Built-in relative humidity meter and room thermometer
- Reusable air filter to reduce running costs
- Hose attachment quality is subpar
- High noise level
- Tends to increase the room temperature
9. BaseAire AirWerx55 1,300 Sq. Ft.
- 1. [120 Pints Dehumidifier ] Removing up to 55 pints of water per day (under 60%RH @ 80°F condition), 120 PDD at saturation,this energy-efficient dehumidifier is ideal to dehumidify damp space up to...
- 2.[ Easy-to-use Dehumidifier ] Plug it in, set the target humidity, this smart dehumidifier will AUTO-STOP when the set humidity level has been met and AUTO RESTART when the room humidity raises up...
- 3.[ Auto-Defrost & Memory Restare Function ] Auto defrost function eliminates maintenance and allows this durable room dehumidifier to use in a cold environment low to 33.8°F. This basement...
The AirWerx55 from BaseAire is one of the most popular options for those who need a compact unit with a high moisture removal ability. With this unit, you can remove around 55 pints of water per day at 80°F and cover a floor area of up to 1,300 sq. ft. The unit’s dimensions are 19.2 x 12.2 x 13.3 inches. You can place it inside a tight area such as a crawl space.
At first glance, this dehumidifier may seem somewhat basic. However, it comes with a wide range of features to allow for easy use and the best functionality. These features include auto restart after a power outage, memory starting, automatic error detection, and HGV defrosting.
The AirWerx55 also has a remote monitoring functioning, which is handy, especially if you can’t easily get to the unit to make setting adjustments. To save space, this model doesn’t feature a water tank. You can, however, connect a standard hose and direct the water to the nearest drain with continuous gravity draining.
In terms of energy efficiency, this unit outperforms many of its competitors in this capacity range. It is Energy Star listed at 2.47 L/kWh so that you can rest assured that your energy costs to keep this dehumidifier running are relatively low.
- High energy efficiency
- Five-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Compact and lightweight
- Durable metallic housing to protect inner components
- Versatile and suitable for a wide range of application
- Reasonable price
- Drain attachment tends to leak
10. Keystone KSTAD50B 3,000 Sq. Ft.
- 35-PINT DEHUMIDIFIER: Quickly and efficiently remove up to 35 pints of moisture from the air per day in a space up to 3000 square feet to improve your air quality on many levels.
- RELIABLE, CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE: Our model has electronic controls with LED Display and a 24-hour timer. Settings include Normal, Turbo, and Auto-Defrost to keep you comfortable around the clock.
- ELIMINATES EXCESS MOISTURE FROM HUMID AIR: The Keystone portable dehumidifier can be placed in various locations throughout your home or apartment such as your attic, bedroom, basement, bathroom,...
The Keystone White is a basic yet high-quality dehumidifier that is suitable for most residential basement moisture extraction requirements. This unit can remove up to 50 pints of moisture per day and cover a floor area of up to 3,000 square feet. If your moisture level is 65 percent or less, and you want decent value for your money, consider this model.
It has no stand-out features that make it different from other products in this category, but it has everything you need in a basement dehumidifier. The features of the Keystone White include a 24-hour timer, a full container alert with automatic shut-off, and auto restart. The filter is removable, and you can easily clean it when the machine gives you an alert.
Because this is a compressor model, it features auto-defrost to prevent ice accumulation, energy inefficiency, and damage to the coil evaporators.
In terms of drainage, you have two options. You can let the water fill the container and empty it whenever it is full, or you can attach a standard garden hose and use the continuous gravity draining option.
- High-quality and durable
- Continuous draining option available
- 1 year parts & labor with limited 5 year sealed system warranty
- Lightweight at 36.3 lbs.
- The filter is easy to clean
- Four smooth-rolling caster wheels
- Relatively loud running noise
- Difficult to set up
11. Inofia 30 Pint 1,056 Sq. Ft.
- 30 Pints Dehumidifier: With removal capacity of up to 30 pints of water per day (under 90% RH @ 95°F condition), this energy-efficient dehumidifier is ideal to dehumidify damp rooms up to 1056 sq ft,...
- Easy-to-use Dehumidifier: With a built-in humidistat, this smart dehumidifier will AUTO-STOP when set humidity level has been met and AUTO-RESTART when room humidity goes up again. The switchable fan...
- User-friendly Drainage Options: This small dehumidifier will auto shut off when the 4-Pint (0.5 Gal.) water reservoir is full and audibly alert you to empty it. Too busy to empty it manually? This...
If you have an average-sized residential basement with a consistent and relatively high humidity level of 55 to 60 percent, the HD161A from Inofia is a viable option. This unit can remove up to 30 pints of water over 24 hours and can cover a room with a size of up to around 1,000 sq. ft.
The model is a favorite among homeowners because it is easy to use, compact, and versatile. With the adjustable fan speed and timer, you can fully customize the unit’s operation to meet your humidity maintenance requirements.
This dehumidifier comes with standard features that include an automatic humidity sensor, automatic defrost, and auto restart with its last settings after a power cut. The housing also has a handle so you can quickly move it to your desired location. Another high-value feature is the sleep mode that lowers the operating noise level at night.
The removable water reservoir has a capacity of four pints. At full capacity, you will have to empty it three to seven times over 24 hours. You can also attach the included drain hose for continuous 24-hour drainage.
- High-end dehumidifier from a reputable brand
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Compact and lightweight
- Suitable for most residential basements
- Continuous gravity drainage option
- Adjustable fan speed
- Reliability of the overflow sensor could be improved
- Included drain hose quality is lacking
12. Yaufey 163A 1,500 Sq. Ft.
This 30-pint dehumidifier is ideal for maintaining the humidity levels of average residential basements and crawl spaces. If you struggle with everyday issues such as lack of ventilation, moisture seepage through your walls and floors, and condensation, this unit is the perfect option to ensure that humidity is at a comfortable level.
It has a modern design and ample aesthetic appeal. If you converted your basement into a living space or home office, this unit is worth considering. You can also use this unit in other areas, for example, in the kitchen.
In addition to a suitable appearance, this dehumidifier also has several features to ensure the best functionality and ease of use. These features include adjustable fan speed, a 24-hour timer, auto restart, auto shut-off when the tank is full, and intelligent humidity monitoring. If the humidity level is relatively low, you can manually lower the fan speed and let it run 24 hours a day.
In the case of occasional use, for example, after a rainstorm or leak, you can use the 3.8-pint water tank. However, if you want to switch the unit on and let it run continuously, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by attaching the 6.56-foot hose that is included and routing the water to the nearest drain.
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Suitable for everyday humidity control
- Wide operating temperature range
- Continuous gravity drainage function
- The removable filter is easy to clean
- Adjustable fan speed
- Output air is warmer than input air
- The water collection reservoir has a limited capacity
13. Vacplus 1,500 Sq. Ft.
- PROFESSIONAL & EFFICIENT DEHUMIDIFICATION: Compared with the other mini dehumidifier, Vacplus dehumidifiers-(VA1903) for home with 1350ml capacity can quickly and quietly remove up to 30 pints ( under...
- AUTO SHUTOFF & 2 DRAINAGE MODES: Vacplus Dehumidifier for basements can automatically shut off, and the Indicator will turn on until the 1.35L tank is full. Tired of manual drainage? By using the...
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE: Vacplus bathroom dehumidifier provides you with timing Shutdown/Start-up function - you can program the 24-hour timer to suit your lifestyle. What's more, this dehumidifier...
This dehumidifier from Vacplus is a high-end product with durable construction and a modern design. It can remove up to 22 pints of water per day and cover a room with a size of up to 1,500 sq. ft. Its PPD rating is relatively low, but the unit is highly efficient as it features a condenser and evaporator in two rows, which results in rapid condensation.
With the Vacplus, you also get a wide range of high-value features, including a clothes drying mode. With this handy feature, you can dry clothes indoors without increasing your indoor humidity levels.
Other standard features include intelligent constant humidity and automatic adjustment, so you don’t have to switch the unit on and off. The Vacplus also has a timing boot and shut down function that you can use if you only want the unit to run during off-peak periods.
This dehumidifier features a 2.85-pint water reservoir. You can also connect a hose for continuous drainage.
- High-quality unit with a modern design
- Wide operating temperature range
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Compact dimensions and lightweight
- Easy to set up and use
- High energy efficiency and low running cost
- Relatively low dehumidification capacity
- Not suitable for large basements
Basement Dehumidifier Buyer’s Guide
To help you better understand why these models made our list, we’ve put together a handy buyer’s guide that we hope will answer any questions you have.
What is a Basement Dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier is an appliance that reduces and controls the humidity in the air. A basement dehumidifier has specific features for optimal performance below ground. However, some basement models also work well as regular dehumidifiers.
Do You Need a Basement Dehumidifier?
Caring for your basement is just as important as caring for your roof, flooring, and other structural components. A basement provides you with functional floor space, and it can significantly increase the thermal efficiency of your home.
However, a basement is susceptible to structural damage as the result of moisture build-up. Water can seep through the walls from the surrounding soil or accumulate when there is a pipe leak. Because many basements have no windows or ventilation, the humidity can rise and, over time, cause a wide range of issues that can be expensive to address.
A basement dehumidifier is an ideal solution to lower humidity levels in a room with no ventilation. While there may be others, the following symptoms are the most common signs you need a dehumidifier for your basement:
Condensation or Frost on Windows
When the humidity levels are too high, condensation on mirrors or windows is the first thing you will notice. During the winter months, the droplets may freeze, resulting in a layer of ice on these surfaces.
Marshy or Damp Smell
High moisture levels in the air create the ideal habitat for mold on wood, drywall, and the dirt on smooth surfaces. Mold and mildew are health hazards that can cause conditions such as allergies or fungal infections, among others. Fortunately, detecting the presence of mold is easy, as the fungus has a prominent damp smell that reminds one of wet socks, rotten wood, or mud.
The most effective way to get rid of mold and alleviate the health issues it causes is to keep your home dry. If your basement smells like mold and mildew, you need a dehumidifier.
When you are in an area with high humidity, you can detect the dampness on your skin and in your breath. If you enter your basement, and there is a notable moisture increase, that is an indication that you need a dehumidifier.
Humidity Levels Higher than 50%
If you are not sure if you need a dehumidifier for your basement, purchase a hygrometer and use it to measure the humidity in the air. If the hygrometer indicates a humidity level of higher than 50%, you need a dehumidifier to remove the moisture and prevent damage, mold and mildew growth, and rot. Ideal humidity levels are between 35 and 45 percent.
Humidity is the most significant factor in determining concentrations of dust mites, as they absorb moisture from the air instead of drinking it. As a result, if you have a dust mite infestation, it may be because of excessive moisture in the air.
Rot and Decay
Visible signs of rotting in areas of your basement is a tell-tale sign that humidity levels are too high. Wood that is turning white, grey, or black or wood surfaces that are soft or cracked are typically infected with rot. You may also notice that the paint on the walls is peeling, blistering, or cracking.
Optimizing Dehumidifier Efficiency
Installing a dehumidifier alone may not be sufficient to address the high levels of moisture in your basement. Before installation, you have to take specific steps to ensure that your dehumidifier performs at its best:
Close Windows and Doors
If outdoor air can enter your basement, your dehumidifier won’t be able to reduce the moisture levels effectively. Before switching on your dehumidifier, close all your basement’s windows and doors.
Address Sources of Humidity
A basement is inherently prone to high humidity levels, which is why you may need a dehumidifier. However, additional sources of moisture in the room can affect the performance of your dehumidifier.
Before installation, repair all leaks and remove standing water. You can also consider sealing the vents and floor with a 6-millimeter vapor barrier.
After determining that you need a dehumidifier, you have to select a one that meets your specific requirements. There are several buying considerations to take into account to make an informed buying decision.
Dehumidifier Types: Dessicant vs Compressor
You have a choice between two types of dehumidifiers, namely, desiccant and compressor. The best choice depends on the temperatures of the area, price, and energy efficiency—the right model for others may not work for you. You have to consider your needs and price tolerance carefully. Temperatures in the area where you want to place your dehumidifier are crucial, as units perform differently at varying temperatures.
Desiccant dehumidifiers use a descant wheel to absorb moisture from the air without the water vapor changing into a liquid state. Desiccant dehumidifiers are the best dehumidifiers in rooms with temperatures lower than 59°F (15°C).
The output air of this type of dehumidifier is also around 15 degrees warmer than the input air. If you want to warm the areas you are dehumidifying, desiccant dehumidifiers are the best alternative.
Compressors are widely regarded to be the best way to quickly lower the humidity level of a large indoor area. A compressor dehumidifier lowers humidity levels with a fan and cold condensation surface. When the warm air reaches the cooling surface, it results in condensation. Then, the liquidized water vapor is trapped inside the dehumidifier.
A compressor dehumidifier is ideal for areas with a room temperature above 59°F. Compressor models are cheaper to run than their desiccant equivalents but don’t help to heat the room either.
Capacity refers to the number of pints of water the unit removes from the air over a 24-hour period. Manufacturers often give their models a capacity rating of PPD (pints of moisture per day,) which is measured at temperatures of around 80°F and relative humidity of 60 percent.
Below is a general capacity recommendation that you can use:
- 30 – 45 PPD for small rooms with a humidity level between 45 and 55 percent
- 50 PPD for rooms with a humidity level between 55 and 65 percent
- 70 PPD for rooms with humidity levels of 65 percent or more and a moisture removal of 70 pints per day
Each dehumidifier has a unique capacity with the specified room size and humidity level. You can use the recommendation above as a general guideline, but the best dehumidifiers work at different levels of moisture.
You have the choice of three ways to drain water, namely gravity drainage, pump drainage, or manual drainage. With the gravity or pump drainage option, you don’t need to monitor the unit’s operation with an alarm or regular checks. With the manual drainage route, on the other hand, you have to empty the water collection tank regularly to prevent unnecessary downtime.
With the gravity drainage method, you have to connect a hose to let the water flow to a nearby location below the unit. If the unit has a pump, you can drain water to a location that is far away or above the dehumidifier.
Water Tank Size
Water tank size is only relevant if you have to drain the water manually, as it determines how many times you have to remove the water per day. For example, if the dehumidifier has a capacity of 50 PPD and a water tank capacity of 10 pints, you have to empty the water tank three to five times over a day, provided that the dehumidifier is running at full capacity.
Desiccant dehumidifiers work at low temperatures without any problems. With compressor models, however, this is not the case, especially in basements where temperatures tend to be relatively low. Frost build-up can lower a compressor dehumidifier’s efficiency and, ultimately, shorten the dehumidifier’s lifespan.
If you select a compressor model, make sure that it features a defrost mode. Models with this feature will monitor frost build-up and shut down the compressor when it detects frost. As the evaporator coils start to heat up, the ice will melt.
Where to Buy the Best Dehumidifiers for Basements?
Costco dehumidifiers are also worth considering for your basement. To find a Costco dehumidifier that meets your needs, check out the listings in their appliance category.
Amazon.com offers the best dehumidifiers at fair prices. They also have an affiliate advertising program, and from this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Shopping for the best dehumidifiers at Argos is a straightforward process. This store offers a wide range of benefits such as fast and affordable shipping. Argos has an affiliate advertising program, and from this site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Take a look at our list below for the best dehumidifiers.
Wrapping It Up
High humidity in your basement can wreak havoc on your home’s structure, wood features, and painted surfaces. Moisture also creates a nurturing environment for mold, rot, and dust mites. If you don’t address high humidity in your basement, you may end up with extensive damage that will be costly to repair.
The most effective and affordable solution to keep your basement free from moisture is to use a dehumidifier. There are many models to choose from, and you can select one that fits your room size, humidity levels, and temperatures best.
We recommend all the models we listed above, but our top pick, the Vremi, is the best dehumidifier for your basement as it provides the best in terms of capacity, quality, and ease of use.