Table of Contents
- The Best Whole-House Dehumidifier (Professional Level)
- The Best “Easy Install” Whole House Dehumidifier
- Colzer 70 Pint Portable Dehumidifier, Up to 4000 Sq Ft – Best Non-Commercial Whole House Dehumidifier
- Ivation Energy Star Dehumidifier, for Spaces Up to 4,500 Sq Ft – Runner Up #1
- Vremi 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier – Runner Up #2
- LG PuriCare Black 70 Pint Dehumidifier – Runner Up #3
- Keystone 50 Pint Dehumidifier – Oldie but a Goodie (and Cheap, too)
- People Also Ask
This post was last updated on: Sunday, February 1, 2021
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
When you have a very large space that you need to keep dehumidified—like your entire home—finding a dehumidifier that can take care of the entire space can be a real investment in both time and money. We’ve divided our top picks into a few different categories to make it as easy as possible for you to find the best whole house dehumidifier that will suit your budget and living space.
The first section deals with the best professional-grade dehumidifiers for extremely damp, very large spaces. Further down, you’ll find some picks that are designed with a more occupied living space in mind.
We’ve also covered some of the most common inquiries people have when trying to decide which type of dehumidifier to purchase.
The Best Whole-House Dehumidifier (Professional Level)
These professional level dehumidifiers are perfect if you have a serious humidity issue through your whole house that requires addressing. Many have direct drainage options, or can be connected via ductwork put in by professional installers.
Aprilaire 1870F XL 130 Pint Dehumidifier, Up to 3900 sq. ft. – Best Overall
- BUILT TO LAST with corrosion-resistant aluminum coils, Aprilaire Dehumidifiers are designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. by Aprilaire, the leader in indoor air quality solutions
- REDUCES & CONTROLS BASEMENT HUMIDITY to help prevent damp carpeting and furnishings, mold, mildew, and odors without any additional duct work
- HELPS PREVENT MOLD, TERMITES, STRUCTURAL WOOD ROT, AND ODORS in a sealed crawlspace
This dehumidifier makes short work of moisture throughout the whole house—up to nearly four thousand square feet—by removing up to 16 gallons of water from the air daily.
Aprilaire builds these dehumidifiers in the United States and backs them up with a five-year warranty so that you can be certain that they stand behind the product’s longevity. Aprilaire dehumidifiers are well known for being the best brand of dehumidifier for homes that are large in space, and in climates with high humidity levels.
- Control panel mounting flexibility: Placement of a such a relatively large unit can be a bit of a hassle, since you need to make sure it’s out of the way, yet you can still access everything on the unit you need to for convenient use and maintenance. One of the ways Aprilaire optimizes this is by making the control panel moveable—it can be mounted either on top or on the side of the unit.
- Being able to self install is a great perk with a dehumidifier of this size and power. If you do choose the duct-connecting version, you might want to spring for professional installation, but the free-standing unit is extremely easy to get going.
- Attached wheels make this unit very easy to move around, which is always great when it’s a larger piece of equipment.
- While the warranty is impressive on paper, it does require you to see a certified technician in person. This can lead to complications with the warranty if they are unable to source the appropriate part, for example.
Dri-Eaz Revolution LGR with Pump, Up to 17 Gallons Per Day – Runner Up #1
- WATER REMOVAL: 12 gal/day at 80°F/60% RH (AHAM), 17.3 gal/day at 90°F/90% RH
- AIR MOVEMENT: 121-180 CFM
- COMPACT DESIGN: 17.6" x 12.5" x 21.5" in. (HxWxD)
Impressively powerful for its small size, this model makes our list because of how compact it is while performing as well as much larger units. It’s very effective at dehumidifying a large variety of spaces and is powerful enough to dry out carpets, subfloors, and more. This is a real boon if you have a tight space like a hallway, small kitchen, or bathroom—especially if these spaces are going to be occupied while they are dried out.
This model is fully capable of removing up to seventeen liters of water per day, but the amount of actual moisture removed from its surroundings will depend on a number of factors, including temperature, the humidity level, the materials of the structure it’s placed in, and water saturation.
- An auto-restart is a great help if you’re drying out an area that is prone to power outages and surges; this model will start right back up and pick up where it left off.
- This pint-sized unit with full-sized power keeps on trucking—some models tend to slow down when the humidity drops, but this one dries out a wet area quickly and continues dehumidifying the space powerfully, drying out the structural materials around it, as well.
- This is one of the water damage restoration industry’s most popular choices, with some estimates saying that seven out of ten professionals prefer Dri-Eaz products for their reliability and durability.
- While most customers rave about the unit’s dehumidifying abilities, its water disposal capabilities are somewhat less lauded due to a tendency for the pumps to come loose or fail.
- Another issue is a design flaw—the legs of the unit are hollow, and because of how it’s designed, if the water isn’t being pumped out properly, water can collect in the legs and then leak out. Because the legs are hollow, this problem can be “hidden” until a puddle of water ends up on the floor. So, if you do purchase this unit, check up on it to make sure the pumps are working properly.
AlorAir Dehumidifier 198PPD (Saturation), 90 Pints (AHAM) – Runner Up #2
Designed with basements and crawl spaces in mind, this model is built with durable, reliable materials and can remove up to 90 pints of water per day. Also, a great choice for humid garages! The epoxy powder coated coils help prevent freon leakage, which can be a death knell for even the best dehumidifier, otherwise. Since many moist environments also feature corrosive elements, this is a very nice additional perk.
The remote controller, which is sold separately, might not seem like a must-have, but the convenience it offers is addictive.
- Very quiet considering its strength—a bit of a surprise for a unit that doesn’t go far out of its way to advertise this perk, when most of its competition is considerably louder
- Super easy to install, especially if you use the ductless version
- Great track record when it comes to reliability, even when it’s being run twenty-four hours a day, days on end
- Those who have successfully gotten in touch with a competent customer service representative have had great results—unfortunately, the company hasn’t put much work into building up their customer service front-end (for example, their website seems to be consistently down, or is only available in Chinese)
AlorAir LGR 85 Pint Dehumidifier with Pump, cETL Listed – Runner Up #3
- ▼ Super Features: This Commercial Dehumidifier Remove 180PPD at Saturation condition, Digital humidistat control, Timer, with condensate Pump, fits into small spaces, Multiple units can be moved on...
- ▼ Highly Efficient: This Water damage Restoration dehumidifier get operating temperature range of 33.8-104 degrees F, draws 5.62 amps on a 115V power supply for energy efficiency, huge capacity 85...
- ▼ Waterproof design: You can sink the unit in the water as the rubber strip makes the circuit board sealed.
A slightly smaller, more compact model that is otherwise quite similar to our second runner up, above. Like the model above, it really shines when it comes to serious flood and water damage restoration situations, especially if you need to navigate tight spaces with it. When you need an industrial strength dehumidifier for a smaller space like a bathroom, crawlspace, or hallway, this product line is bound to impress.
The built-in pump has a twenty-foot lift distance, which makes this fantastic for placement in spaces where a drain might not be easily accessible for other units. This particular unit is also available in a variety of different colors—yellow, red, blue, and green—which can be a plus for occupied spaces or for color-coding your equipment use.
- Long cord, long drain pipe, and a heavy-lifting drain pump make this model really easy to place almost anywhere—and the compact size helps with that, as well.
- Ultra-powerful for its size, and very easy to stack and store.
- As we’ve already mentioned above, the big issue with this brand isn’t performance—it’s customer service. When you can get in touch with a customer service agent that knows what they’re doing, service can be great, but even opening up a channel of communication can be quite difficult as the company has put very little into the front-end of their US-based customer service.
The Best “Easy Install” Whole House Dehumidifier
While the commercial/professional grade whole house dehumidifiers we’ve listed so far perform exceptionally well, they also might be a bit more power—and a bigger price tag—than you’re looking for. Not only that, but while some of them can, in fact, be parked directly over a drain, they aren’t particularly convenient for use in occupied spaces unless you have them professionally installed.
The following options don’t have quite the heft of their professional counterparts, but they win out when it comes to convenience in occupied rooms. They’re also designed with a bit more of a focus on interior décor aesthetics, which makes them a bit more appealing if you’re planning to use one in a working office or your living quarters.
Colzer 70 Pint Portable Dehumidifier, Up to 4000 Sq Ft – Best Non-Commercial Whole House Dehumidifier
Complete with a powerful compressor and an equally powerful fan, this dehumidifier is designed for large open spaces, up to four thousand square feet. It’s also only 29 pounds and has an attractive design that makes it perfectly suitable for use in occupied rooms.
The intelligent humidity level sensors included with this model will continually detect the room’s relative humidity and adjust operation as needed. You can also set the target relative humidity level at around 30% for dehumidifying to happen 24 hours a day. .
- The easy to clean filter usually only need cleaning about every two weeks, depending on the space that it’s in, and makes maintaining this unit very convenient and low cost. You can vacuum the filter, or you can wash it with warm water—just make sure it’s dry before reinstalling.
- In addition to the dehumidifying modes, there is also a “dry” mode which is particularly helpful for laundry rooms and the like; it combines the dehumidifying power of the unit with a higher-powered fan for more intense airflow to make airdrying laundry (or drying out a particularly soaked area post-flood) much easier.
- While the unit is built to run quietly and most consumers report that it does, a not insignificant number of these units seem to have a flaw which results in rattling during continuous use.
Ivation Energy Star Dehumidifier, for Spaces Up to 4,500 Sq Ft – Runner Up #1
- This Compressor Dehumidifier Keeps Spaces Up to 4500 Sq. Ft. Cool & Comfortable by Removing 50 Pints of Moisture/Day (70 Pint according to the old DOE [Department of Energy] standards, in 2019 this...
- Built-In Humidity Sensor - The LCD accurately displays the current humidity level in the room, enabling you to set your ideal levels for automatic moisture control
- Low Maintenance & Easy Operation; Simply Plug-In, Select Settings & Empty 1.3 Gallon Reservoir
At under forty two pounds and combined with a sleek, appealing design, this is an ideal model for living spaces up to four thousand five hundred square feet.‘
If you like the look of this model, but the seventy-pint version is somewhat of an overkill, then you’ll be thrilled to know there are also thirty and fifty-pint models.
- No installation necessary and a six food cord included making this a lovely little unit that will fit into just about any space.
- Very user-friendly, with what can essentially be one-button operation if you so desire
- Continual monitoring of relative humidity levels 24 hours a day, so that you can determine yourself when you want to leave the unit running or shut it off.
- The hose drain, while helpful in ideal circumstances, depends entirely on gravity, so it isn’t very versatile in some situations
- The model is lovely in that it’s compact, but part of that is due to a rather petite holding reservoir for the water it pulls from the air. It needs to be emptied quite frequently in environments with high humidity levels.
Vremi 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier – Runner Up #2
- Our "Moisture Maniac" dehumidifier is rated to remove 50 pints (70 Pint 2012 DOE Rating Standard) of moisture per day and is ideal for medium to large spaces from 3,000 sq. ft. to 4,500 sq. ft.
- We designed our dehumidifier with convenience and style in mind. This dehumidifier sports a sleek, clean look with convenient built-in wheels and handles and a quiet fan that will do its job without...
- It's a dehumidifier, not a rocket ship and our design reflects that. Simply adjust to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, where it'll then...
With coverage up to 4500 square feet, this whole house dehumidifier does a fantastic job of reducing humidity levels in spaces of your home that often havens for moisture and mold. With set-and-forget controls, this dehumidifier helps keep your home dry 24 hours a day.
This unit is a powerful dehumidifier—and it’s also exceptional at purifying the air around it. The filter can reduce dirt, dust, mites, bacteria, mildew, and more, thanks to its exceptional filter. The filter should be cleaned about once a month for optimal performance. Offering more than just being a candidate for best whole house humidifier, this model helps keep your air quality up.
- The automatic defrost shuts down the coils while the fan still runs, giving this dehumidifier a quick and easy way to keep running near-constantly without your intervention
- This model has great feedback from consumers in almost every possible category but one—noise. It runs very quietly at first but some dehumidifier units seem to pick up some sort of noise issue when they are run frequently for a long time
LG PuriCare Black 70 Pint Dehumidifier – Runner Up #3
- FASHION MEETS FUNCTIONALITY: Our sleek, modern black case houses an efficient, reliable, and quiet (49dB) portable dehumidifier that can dry your space effectively (up to 2500 sq. ft. and 70 pints per...
- TAKING SAFETY TO THE NEXT LEVEL: Our dehumidifier has all of the latest safety features available in the market, including a metal frame and external metal case that are non-flammable, glass fiber and...
- REVOLUTIONARY BUCKET DESIGN: A convenient, completely clear, side-loading 1. 7-gallon bucket gives you easy visibility to the water level. The embedded bucket cover and full-width grip handle provide...
Looking for a minimalist, high-efficiency whole house dehumidifier that isn’t white? This is the best choice for you! If a white dehumidifier is going to stick out like a sore thumb in your home, then your best option may be to go with a darker colored dehumidifier, like this one.
LG is one of the absolute most trusted brands in home appliances, and this beautiful and functional little high-powered whole house dehumidifier is a great example of the care and exceptional workmanship they put into all of their models.
- Arguably one of the best whole house dehumidifiers that LG has ever made, propped up by an exceptionally attractive design
- The water reservoir is very well engineered, to the point that it is very difficult to spill no matter the pints per day that are being pulled from the air
- The one flaw of this dehumidifier is noise—even at optimal, brand new operation, it’s much louder than many others that are in the same class as far as size and price. If you need quiet operation, this may not be the whole house dehumidifier for you.
Keystone 50 Pint Dehumidifier – Oldie but a Goodie (and Cheap, too)
- 35-PINT DEHUMIDIFIER: Quickly and efficiently remove up to 35 pints of moisture from the air per day in a space up to 3000 square feet to improve your air quality on many levels.
- RELIABLE, CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE: Our model has electronic controls with LED Display and a 24-hour timer. Settings include Normal, Turbo, and Auto-Defrost to keep you comfortable around the clock.
- ELIMINATES EXCESS MOISTURE FROM HUMID AIR: The Keystone portable dehumidifier can be placed in various locations throughout your home or apartment such as your attic, bedroom, basement, bathroom,...
If you’re not concerned with having the absolute latest and greatest in dehumidifier technology and features, then this is the model for you. It does a great job of reducing humidity levels throughout the whole house without breaking the bank.
This isn’t the most flashy or modern whole house dehumidifier on our list, but it has a long track record of exceptional performance. Up to fifty pints a day in spaces of up to 3000 square feet.
- Auto-restart will get this dehumidifier going again as soon as the power comes back on after an outage
- Rolling hidden casters for easy portability
- Extremely affordable for its class
- The only consistent complaint about this model is the fact that some of the plastic used in its construction is slightly thinner than you might expect and a bit brittle
People Also Ask
Shopping for a dehumidifier can be a little overwhelming. To choose the best dehumidifier for your house, you will need to be prepared with the right questions. We’ve compiled a list of the most common FAQs people ask when they’re looking to buy a whole house dehumidifier—here are some of the topics that we’ve found the most helpful for our readers and in our own review and research process.
Do Whole House Dehumidifiers Work?
Whole house dehumidifiers absolutely do work, but you need to choose one that is suitable for the space you’re in. That includes knowing the square footage of the space, the current relative humidity, the desired relative humidity, and other factors.
You’ll also want to look at what temperature the model is built to work best in because this can vary a significant amount. Some dehumidifiers don’t work well at very high or very low temperatures.
The amount of time you’ll spend around the dehumidifier matters as well; you’ll want to check out how loud it is. Also, some whole house dehumidifiers are designed with more aesthetics in mind, while others are built for function over form.
Other considerations you may want to keep in mind are the size of the dehumidifier, the length of the cord, and the length of the drainage hose (if any).
We think you’ll find that one of the above choices is the best whole house dehumidifier model for you.r home If it is not, you’ll still have gathered a lot of information that should help you buy the model that will keep your space dry, clean, and allergen-free.
If you have any questions or comments, please let us know! We value feedback from our readers to help us create the best buying guides for our current and future readers.
Meta Description: Investing in a whole house dehumidifier can be a huge improvement in quality of life and preserve your belongings from the ravages of moisture. Here’s how to choose a great one.